At Penticton courthouse...

Editor’s note: The following contains graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

Not even two years after he was jailed for sexually assaulting a boy, an Osoyoos man is back behind bars for allegedly possessing child pornography.

RCMP announced Wednesday that Shawn Barry Titus, 37, has also been charged with breaching the terms of a probation order that resulted from the earlier sentence.

Titus was arrested May 21 at an Osoyoos motel, where local Mounties executed a search warrant that flowed from an investigation launched just two days earlier in conjunction with the B.C. Integrated Child Exploitation Unit and Ontario Provincial Police.

“Investigators continue to examine the evidence and to date have made no link to any local victims,” Osoyoos RCMP Sgt. Jason Bayda said in a press release.

“The team work of the agencies mentioned shows the dedication of police to protecting children from harm and to vigorously pursue those who access, distribute, or create child pornography.”

Titus remains behind bars and is set for a bail hearing Thursday in provincial court.

It was there in September 2018 that he was sentenced to two years in jail and three years’ probation, after he admitted to sexually assaulting an 11-year-old Osoyoos boy.

Court heard Titus, then 34, met the boy at an Osoyoos community centre in 2016 and quickly built a close relationship that saw the pair play video games and watch movies together, perform odd jobs, collect bottles, and have sleepovers at Titus’s house.

The pair became so close that Titus instructed the boy to tell people they were brothers to explain why they spent so much time together.

Acting on a report from the principal of the boy’s school, police interviewed Titus, who disclosed to officers that he considered boys’ bodies “works of art,” but denied any wrongdoing, as did the boy. Titus wasn’t charged until 2017, when he confessed to his employer he and the boy had masturbated together, performed oral sex on each other about 10 times, showered together and shared a bed.

It also emerged at Titus’s sentencing hearing that he had previously been diagnosed with pedophilic disorder, but rather than seek professional help, turned for support to his religious community, which later disfellowshipped him.

Although he was sentenced to two years’ jail just 21 months ago, Titus was credited with some time served and would have also been eligible for statutory early release.