It has been more than 100 years since the words were put to paper, but the ragged, yellowed pages still tell a story. The date was July 21,1906 when W.J. Clement published the first edition of the Penticton Press, the newspaper which would later become the Penticton Herald. Issued every Saturday, subscriptions to the Penticton press in 1906 cost one dollar a year, payable in advance, July 2 1910 the Press became the Herald.
Over the years the Herald became a thrice-weekly newspaper and on Sept. 9, 1957 became a five-day a week paper. Saturday was added in February, 1989. In 1996 the Saturday edition was renamed the Okanagan and published jointly with the Daily Courier from Kelowna. In 2000, Sunday was added and now the Herald is one of only a few papers in British Columbia to deliver every day. Headlines from Penticton that have graced the pages include the Penticton V's world championship hockey victory, a devastating fire in the hills east of Penticton known as the Garnet Fire, the return of the SS Sicamous and celebration of the city's heritage, and more recently the decision to build a state-of-the-art multi-purpose event centre. Today, the Herald also publishes Southern Exposure, Okanagan Valley TV Guide and Real Estate Today and is owned by Continental Newspapers Canada Ltd.
Join us as we celebrate a century of bringing the most comprehensive news and entertainment package to the South Okanagan.